Thursday, June 21, 2012

Evaluating Trading System Performance – Part 1

If you Google “Trading System”, or “Trading Signals” you will find an enormous number of websites with services allowing you to subscribe to the signals produced by their trading system.  I’m not opposed to that, of course, as it’s exactly what we do at CalculatedReturns.  And in fact, there are some of these services that are actually reputable and worthwhile.  A few (ahem…), even produce excellent real world returns. I have a pet peeve, however, around how some “less scrupulous” sites choose to demonstrate their performance.

Over the next several posts, I intend to expose the “sum of the trades” approach to performance results.  It just ain’t right! I promise not to be too harsh, as it’s not my objective to be defensive, or sling mud.  My real goal is just to educate those who might not be looking, about how to evaluate system performance for themselves.  Consequently, the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Stay tuned for Part 2, and the “Sum of the trades SMACKDOWN”!

Good Trading…

No comments:

Post a Comment