Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What's a SnapTrader?

You might notice that the subtitle of the SnapTrader blog is "A Trading Journal for the Working Stiff". While I enjoy trading as a hobby, and certainly make money from it, I work for a living. Each day I commute via public transportation to join the masses in the workplace. Trading on the other hand, is a hobby, albeit a very serious one; and one that I intend to supply what my family needs in the future.

Nonetheless, I have a "day job." And like most other working stiffs, I don't have the luxury of sitting in front of a trading screen all day long. As a result, I've had to adapt my trading methods so they can be primarily handled after-hours (or pre-market). I've also had to become VERY efficient. Making trading decisions should be like snapping my fingers... no agonizing... no pondering... just 'snap'!

In order to do this, I've had to have a very concise set of trading rules that guide my decisions, and I have to follow them religiously. Of course I don't always do that, and that's when I pay my hefty tuition to the School of Hard Knocks; but it's certainly my intention and the best way for me to trade. When you have a good set of trading rules, that you really have confidence in, trading really is a snap.

I don't mean to say that developing my rules was easy. I spent many long hours researching and learning. I still do. Tinkering with setups, researching, studying, all still needs to be done; but NEVER during the heat of battle. This can all be done after-hours, on weekends, or in other off times. The trading itself is simply the execution of a well thought out plan. And when you have a well thought out plan, trading is indeed a snap.

Good Trading...

No comments:

Post a Comment